Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thought for the day!

The Importance of a Bucket List

If you haven't seen the movie The Bucket list yet you're only a Netflix moment way. Briefly pretending to be a movie critic Jack Nicholson is a crusty old well off senior who is befriended in the hospital by legendary actor Morgan Freeman and they not only talk about the highs and lows of their pasts but their "dreams."

Morgan Freeman persuades Jack to make a list of all the things he wants to do before he passes on (Jack's dying of cancer) and one by one they set out to cross off the dreams on his list.

I firmly believe in a bucket list and having lost several good friends and family members well before their time over the past few years, I know I am going to face the Grim Reaper one day myself so fulfilling this list in the time I have left on this magnificent earth can certainly help fulfill my dreams.

Obviously you'd have to have a Trump sized bank account to do some of the top end dreams but if you only got part way through the list when you're welcomed at the pearly gates you'd probably have some great memories to help fulfill your life.

The most important thing about having a bucket list is to actually write one out as soon as you can and to start working on it "today."

Then get yourself a separate bank account and start plinking some 'mad money' away in this account. Take your empties back; put your income tax refund in it; throw a few bucks from every pay cheque in when you can and you're underway.

Next find a pal (or spouse) who understands the list and hopefully shares some of your dreams. Traveling with "like people" enhances the pleasure significantly.

Then post your list somewhere in the house where it's always visible and use it as a reminder to continue to work on it.

I've been fortunate to have crossed many of my dreams off the list already and I have a few well underway right now. Maybe you'll get an idea or two from mine.

The first thing on my list is something I can't control so I'll reference it a little later.

Other goals are:

1. Go on a motorcycle trip through Europe. It's already booked and next fall I will ride through Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, and France with some very good pals.
This should be stunning and I've yacked about it for years. The Bucket List made it happen...

2. See the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

3. Hot Air Balloon World Championships in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

4. Austin and San Antonio, Texas. Just because!

5. Visit the Maritimes. (can't believe I haven't yet)

6. See Jackson Browne, Dave Matthews, Yo Yo Mah, and Bruce Springsteen again and again.

7. Smithsonian in Washington. All of it.

8. Sweden, Norway, and Australia. There are plenty more but in Tier two until I move one or all of these off the list.

The next goal isn't a place or a thing but a practice. I promise to share my time and what I've learned with others. If you've been blessed with the opportunities to see all that this great big wide world has to offer you should share what you learn with others. It alone has it's rewards.

I love mentoring and teaching and by enhancing my depth of knowledge with others my Bucket List becomes even more pleasurable.

Oh that "first wish?". Kim and I hope to be Grandparents one day. I remember the very phrase my Father wrote on my Brother Gord's card Dad gave him when his son was born. "now you know the circle of life.".

Over to you my girls!

1 comment:

  1. Being a grandparent takes you places you can't imagine. There is a language you can't appreciate until you speak it. There is a connection like no other. The bucket list pales by comparison.

    Ted

    ReplyDelete