Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Edmonton Sun column Feb 7th

Ever have those times when your brain sends you non stop random unrelated thoughts?  

I do!

I can't believe people still use the term "motion picture." Time for Bruce Springsteen to update the song 57 Channels with nothing on.  Does it make sense to have Canadian content rules on radio stations anymore? The cell phone/text ban can't happen soon enough for me.  Plus there's now more distractions "inside"a car than "outside" the car.  

When will we have an alternative political party running in Alberta that truly can bring new ideas and concepts to get the undivided attention of our sagging PC Party?  Cell phone and cable/satellite charges in Canada are the most expensive in the world while their profits can only be labelled as "insane."  Car prices are actually on a decline - car companies "got" the recession.

If your business doesn't get Twitter you're falling far behind the curve as social media is the fastest growing technology "ever."  When was the last time you went to a really really good movie?  My daughter Rayanne is struggling with something called Graves Disease which is a very cruel thing to deal with for both her and the family.  I wonder if hockey players really know how lucky they are to be blessed with all that talent.  The ultimate disrespect for me is people who use the term "my old lady" or "my old man." And please don't spit in public.

Edmonton proudly has a great core group of people who make great things happen in this city and I'm proud to call many of them my friends.  Travel is the greatest way to learn how much life is different or the same as ours around the world.  The new EReaders have been a huge boon to a great thing called wisdom.  Get used to the phrase "on demand" for both sports and entertainment in the coming years.

The Edmonton Airport continues to get better and better all the time but I sure hope they get it finished in my lifetime.  Ditto our road system.  Modern Family makes me laugh extremely hard each and every week.  If this is how far the "new arena" has progressed to this point do you really think it will be done in time before the current lease ends?  Would you pay "seat fees" that might be required as a season ticket holder?  I have over a thousand Facebook friends but I wonder how many would actually step up for me if I really needed their help some time?

I allready miss Graham Hicks.  Told him I was going to start the "Art of Texting" with a room full of people who never speak a word.  I'm already excited about what's happening in and around the Edmonton Esks on and off the field.  Remember when radio stations had really big fun contests and great prizes?  Speaking of missing somebody, this city will be sorry when the amazing Lynda Steele leaves for the coast and I really hope somebody steps in to fill her very large community shoes.  Ok I mentioned one daughter so I'd better mention the other so "Hi Lauren."

I just can't see me as a 3D TV kinda guy and I'm getting "more" not "less" dependent on my iPad.  I came back for the big chill week from the lovely desert last month and can safely say that Arizonians just wouldn't understand us.  After 25 years of marriage jewelry and chocolate still works for women but "trips" are the best.  

When do we get those parking meters that take credit cards downtown like Calgary has?  There is no greater honor for me than having streets and a building named after my late father Jerry Forbes.  If you can't keep up with technology today what do you think tomorrow will be like?  Can't wait til next years World Junior Hockey tournament which will be played in our own backyard and I always thought in the good old days of hockey that Jim Playfair "didn't" and Lindy Ruff "wasn't." And if they went for Bob Beers after the game.

Finally, it was a quarter century ago on this very day that I got married on the beach in Maui.  Since that day my wife Kim has provided me with much joy, endless support, and two beautiful aforementioned daughters.  It seems like a blink in time but today I'm so very proud of what our "family" has given me over that time period.  Much love and thanks Kim.

Marty Forbes is President of Radiowise Inc. and reachable at mforbes07@shaw.ca

1 comment:

  1. You call THOSE random thoughts?? You should spend ten minutes in MY brain.
    Ha. Enjoyed your musings. Give Kim a hug from me and thanks again for a glimpse into Marty's world last week.
    Daryl Hooke

    ReplyDelete