Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ipad - get ready Canada

My friends and family joke that I have the 'best toys' in the world - yet being an early adapter I have paid the price. $2500 for the first Betamax that weighed about 18 pounds - another $2500 for my first cell phone. But I just bought the best toy ever invented and I don't care what it costs because "it's worth it."

I bought my IPad in Arizona yesterday - and intiated it down here in the States. It's a huge benefit because you will probably have 'triple' the video choices and possibly 'double' the book and "app" choices due to the competitive landscape down here versus the 'not so' competitive media landscape in Canada.

Most of the best video rights are 'tied up' in the States and unavailable in Canada.

But the up side is "wow is this amazing." A 9.5 inch crystal clear screen. HD video. About a pound and a half. Very quick start up time. With little or no instructions you're playing with this thing in about fifteen minutes.

It's hard to make a mistake. Just hit buttons and good things happen.

Without playing on it yourself it really is hard to describe the amazing impact with this unit. It does EVERYTHING - and at lightening speed. Audio - video - newspapers - apps for virtually every banking feature; restaurants; google; Netflix (download unlimited new movies for $8.99 a month - get outta town!)

I got the 'big' unit - 64 gb cuz I know I'll be using it lots for both personal and business use. Wifi/3G gives you 'every' option you need. Use your home wifi - then walk outdoors and it works off a 3G subscription. ($14 to $29 a month)

I've loaded it here in the States for viewing and use in Canada - and that will remain my pattern.

Hurdles? I signed on with my Canadian ITUNES account (you need one) - and it immediately shut down the APPS store as it is N/A in Canada - to date. I then got signed on and tried to use my American Express and it again shut me down. You can order FROM Canada on an Amex - but not the other way around.

So back to the bank - rejig to my American visa and away it went.

It took mere minutes to load several 'free' apps - and the descriptions of both free and paid apps were clear.

I then ordered a new book - which took less than 15 seconds to download and debit my Visa. See a word you don't know - hit the button and in less than a second the Dictionary kicks in.

Video is amazing. I watched last nights NHL game this morning. If you want 'just the highlights' theres a button for that.

The worst part of the new IPad? It's addictive....because you can leaf through 'the world in an instant' any time you want. It's very hard to put down because there's just so much practicality (and fun) at your fingertips.

One thing Canadian media will have to be aware of is "you need an Apple app" for your Media Players or Digital editions to work. Websites are fine but theres a big black hole where the video player sits in Canada on the US unit. Digitals come out in very strange unreadable version. Check the USA TODAY app and you'll find it simple and easy to use.

Canadian media will 'have to adapt' or be left behind.

As I posted to my Twitter earlier today "I may never speak to a human being again." My good friend Daryl Hooke replied "works for us too."

Seriously this is a category changer and when it comes to Canada you'll see what I mean.

Back to the Apps store. The pool can wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment