Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Service in Canada is an Oxymoron

On my trips back and forth from Canada to Arizona (and back) one thing has become very apparent to me in my travels.

Service in Canada is far worse than it is in the United States.

Now I know everybody hates generalities BUT I could go on for a very long time about the poor service we are 'used to' in Canada.

A few examples.

Ace Hardware is a small chain in the United States. They've resisted the urge to become one of those 'mega' size stores that often can bridge two time zones in one building. If you need help there a friendly human being will guide you directly to the proper aisle and then stand with you to make sure you buy the exact item - which in a store like that can be difficult with the various sizes. In Canada you're lucky to get someone who will say "Aisle one hundred and seven."

Last week I was looking for a simple $9.00 'timer' that I wanted to bring back here to Edmonon with me. Actually I needed three - and they only had two.

The place was being renovated so the gent apologized that it might be difficult to find the part quickly so let me take your cell number and I'll order one for you and you can pick it up later. Later ended up being half an hour. Instead of sending me to another store another ACE member 'drove it over' to the store I was shopping in.

Contrast that with my visit to ROGERS Wireless Store today where I wanted to buy the new Blackberry Torch. It officially doesn't arrive here til Friday (except they couldn't even confirm that even after stating to them that it is all over their advertising on television) - so I asked if I could pay for it now so that I could pick it up on Friday. Nope.

Then I asked if I could leave a DEPOSIT and pick it up on Friday. Nope.

Then I asked if they could let me know IF and WHEN the Torch came in on Friday. Nope.

I was handed a card and asked to call THEM sometime on Friday. Nope.

Now this, depending on the package you buy, could be as little as a $200.00 purchase or as high as (guessing)$600.

Plus the major bucks I have to spend to have a package that works in both Canada and the United States. (My average bill is $225.00 a month) - and this should qualify as a 'major' purchase - right?

Well I took the card and drove about two blocks away where, in about 30 seconds, BEST BUY took my deposit and guaranteed me a Friday pickup of my new BB Torch. (Being an early adapter has its inherent problems eh?)

If you Google "worst companies in Canada" - guess who shows up in the top 3? Our Canadian Cell providers.

Roll this out to restaurants, car dealerships, etc. and you'll see what I mean.

I cracked a windshield on the BMW Z4 on the way down last time and when I called to make an appointment they asked me "what time do you want US to come by?" That's right - two guys were over to my garage within the hour to install it at the condo. Anybody do that here?

The Cheesecake Factory down there is a gem - with deserts as big as Rexall Stadium. At a dinner one time the waitress came over and thanked us for the business and gave all FIVE of us a gift certificate to visit again, which actually matched the full value of what we spent.

Now you can bash the Yew Ess of Eh all you want - and I'm again being general in my comments - but time after time when people come to visit they have the exact same observation.

So ROGERS - thanks again for reaffirming my belief in how well you treat your most loyal customers. I get a big laugh out of the "call one of our live agents" commercials on television right now. I would - but I just don't have the time to sit and wait an hour and a half listening to a piano solo while 'on hold' ....

3 comments:

  1. D00D!
    Living in Houghton, MI after living in various parts in Canada (including Edmonton) for ~59 years. There's a Safeway-size store here (Econo Foods) that's open 24/7. However the deli closes at 8:00PM. I cruised by the the deli counter shortly after 8:00 PM one night. The guy behind the counter (Tony) had just finished washing the disassembled slicer along with covering the various salads, etc. He asked me if I needed anything. I told him I could use some ham sliced thick, but he'd just shut everything down so I would return tomorrow. He said, "Nah, I'll slice it for you, how much do you want?" I said five. He reassembled the still dripping slicer, unwrapped a new loaf of Canadian maple and sliced off five thick ones. He wrapped them, handed them to me and said, "Have a good evening." THEN proceeded to wash and disassemble the slicer AGAIN!

    The next day I called the store manager and praised the most incredible example of customer satisfaction I've ever experienced. I'm hoping this will help Tony in his current career 'cause that kind of dedication to vocation deserves reward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Mart. Service has gone right out the window. Can you imagine a free month of service from the various companies who keep you on hold waiting for a tele-center rep in another province or another country? We'd have free cable, free cell phone and our mortgage rates would be cut in half. Why is it that the worst offenders are the companies we pay the most to month after month..banks, telephone and cable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit the nail on the head with this one. Don't even get me started about Tim Horton's staff...

    ReplyDelete