Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Memorable Moments Series - Piece #1

Many times since I 'almost' retired from radio about three years ago several pals have suggested I write a book to chronicle the 'halcyon' days of the broadcasting business.




I've thought about it often but it would be difficult as I likely couldn't use real names for threat of legal action from the 'guilty' parties nor has the statute of limitations expired from some of those little indiscretions that some may constitute as 'crimes' today.

I do have some fun times that I'd be happy to chronicle though and I can do that with snippets from time to time through this blog....like my 'worst interview ever' in the business.

In the mid 1970's England's Monty Python were huge and they were doing a world tour performing and promoting The Holy Grail when they arrived at the station that I was working at as a writer and weekend swing.




It was at CKXL Calgary which was a powerhouse Top 40 station then, owned by Moffat Broadcasting,

Who could forget "bring out your dead - the Black Knight fighting with no arms/no legs and calling his adversary a chicken - or skits like the Lumberjack song! (Most are on YouTube now)

I was lucky enough to be chosen to interview the lads and as one of their biggest fans (along with my roomie Myke Thomas) we would often 'over imbibe' on liquids and other distractions at home and listen to Monty Pythons Long Play albums over and over again until we could literally do each skit word for word.

The station was buzzing that day as Eric Idle, Terry Jones, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin arrived and we paraded them through the building and finally got them settled in to the main production room for the interview.

I was like a kid in a candy shop excited to be interviewing these guys.

Back then the station had one giant 'boom' mic in the production room that would be situated in front of the announcer, or guest, to do his/her voice work.

With the entire troupe in the room we situated them around the table with the instruction to please put up your hand if you wished to answer that particular question that I posed.

So away I went.

As I finish my first question a hand goes up (sorry, too many years ago to remember from whom) and the mic was carefully guided over the heads of the other guys for the answer....and then in true Monty Python style I became the brunt of a great bit.

The question gets answered at the exact opposite end of the table...so I fall for it.

We move the mic over to that cast member and at the exact moment the mic is in place for him the original guy answers the question.

So we swing it back!

Nobody broke a smile...and I, like an idiot, continue on for three or four more questions as each wrong guy answered my various questions. Never once did the mic get anywhere near the guy who answered the question.

So finally I break into laughter realizing that this joke had no end, and these guys were having their way with me so I politely say "I guess I'm not going to get my interview eh guys?"

With a grin on each of their faces it was evident that weren't going to break cast for me so I said "thanks for your time" and they headed out the door leaving me high and dry, other than autographing my album for me.

I got nothing.

Zip.

Not a word from the most legendary comedy troupe in the world that we could use on the air.

So when people ask who was my best ever interview while in radio I say..."Monty Python - sort of!"

My second worse interview was with The Eagles, again in Calgary. They were so wired on 'something' we only got about 20 seconds of useable verbal.

Next blog...Radio 'pranks'!

PS: CKXL had some amazing talent back then including Donnie Burns, Robert G Lowe who later became Rob Christie, Tom Tompkins, Jim Davies, Hal Gardiner, Bill Powers, Dieter Stachow, Dr. Dan to name just a few.

3 comments:

  1. Im Dieters sister..I remember the ckxl days. I remember being so proud to be the wonderful Dieter Stachows sister. He had the voice and off kilter personality. He was a great radio personality. So sad how things change and yet stay the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is he doing these days? Retired no doubt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure. I have seen a few comments the last few years on pugetsoundradio.com

    ReplyDelete