Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thank goodness there are '2' Thanksgiving Days

I get a ‘do over’ on Thanskgiving.

For the past two years I’ve missed our annual Forbes family gathering as I was in Europe but today is Thanksgiving in the United States and I’m in Arizona getting immersed in their Turkey Day - NFL football, and watching the city virtually shutting down, and focus on “family.”

Yes I love turkey and stuffing, but the best part of my Thanksgiving is sitting around a room with my wife, kids, and in-laws reflecting on how lucky I am to have not only a great extended family, a family name that brings me great pride, but also the fact that I have three of the best girls a Father/Husband could possibly have in my wife Kim, Daughter #1 Lauren (thats by birth rite not that you are my favorite - cuz it’s a tie Lauren) - and Daughter #2 Rayanne.

Both daughters have always given me ‘immense’ pride.

Both are incredibly bright, kind, and beautiful all in one package.


Lauren figured out early in her life that the Father and Daughter bond is stacked in Dad’s favor. I’m just not going to play Barbie Dolls or Dress up - so she, at a very young age, started to watch hockey and football with me - and ‘loves’ motorcycles.

The first day she took lessons I gave her the most important advice a biker Dad could possibly give her - yet she did exactly what I told here NOT to do and rode at a pretty good pace directly into a bunch of tires that were set out to protect the turn.

As she came to me with tears in her eyes I said “are you ok?” - thinking that she was hurt, but her response was 'no...I’m ok - I just didn’t want to disappoint you.”


Rayanne is unique as all hell. Strong - confident - and determined. She knows exactly where she is going in life and god help you if you stand in her way.

Rayanne has gone through the “toughest disease I’ve ever heard of” with Graves Disease over the past several months. Throughout it all, and through great pain, her entire focus is on ‘learning’ as much as she can about it and ‘helping others.’

Her blogs are incredibly well written - compelling - and sad all in one.

Our entire family is ‘praying’ for her as she continues to beat the remaining problems she still has to encounter after surgery in the spring.

Rayanne will win.

She always does.

Both went through their school life in the French immersion program - which was very tough, especially in the early school years, - but later in life those lessons certainly helped them appreciate a different way of life.

One of our best family holidays I enjoyed was when we all went to Montreal and Quebec City and the girls (approx Grades 7 and 11) did ‘all’ our of our conversations during the trip in French. They checked us in at the hotels, ordered at restaurants, etc. At the Quebec City Carnival I responded to a carnival guy trying to sell me something by saying “Sorry - I’m English” - whereas he went on for about a minute yelling at me entirely in French. When I asked Lauren what he said her response was a simple “it’s not very nice Dad.”

In the West Edmonton Mall Rayanne would hear people speaking French and would wander over to help with directions, etc.




Neither girl has caused me ‘one minute’ of grief in my entire life. Their judgement in who they hung out with was pristine. Neither got out of control with drugs and alcohol and neither would be considered ‘prudes’ in any manner.

Both go out of their way to be nice to other people. Both are extremely generous in sharing what they have. Both have incredible senses of humour and both make me laugh every time we are together.

OK I laugh at Laurens constant changing of her hair color - and how much makeup Rayanne wears but ‘what the heck eh?” What are Dad’s for?

One time when Rayanne’s room was a complete disaster I lost it on her and demanded she clean it up. As I came down the stairs muttering to myself my wife Kim met me on the way up and had a line I’ll never ever forget - and it was simply “if this is the worst you have to deal with her we’ve done pretty good.”

You’re so right Kim.

As you get older the more time you can spend with your children - the better.

I know so many families whose kids leave the nest and don’t spend a great deal of time with their families - which is sad. My Dad died at age 58 and I simply feel robbed that we didn't have more time together. Mom is 83 - still makes me laugh every time we talk - which isn't "often enough." *I'll work on that!

I often hear people call their Dad “my old Man” which, to me, is the ultimate phrase of disrespect.

Mine never have - I think!

So today as I sit around reflecting on giving “Thanks” for my lot in life the three people who deserve 100% of the credit for my happiness are...

Kim Forbes

Lauren Forbes

Rayanne Forbes!


Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.


There - I got my ‘do over.”

No comments:

Post a Comment