Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Miss Houston will see you now...

One of the best benefits of being in the media is the opportunity to meet interesting people.



I got an early start on appreciating that benefit when my late father Jerry Forbes used to come home and tell the family about who dropped in to CHED that day. It was always interesting people....Tony Bennett; The Ames Brothers; etc. etc.

Here's a classic picture of Dad and John Barton in the mid 1950's doing a reverse racism fun kinda shot where he is actually 'shining' the great Nat King Coles shoes - and the grin on Nat's face shows he obviously was enjoying the irony of the picture.


Another great one circa 1957 I have is Dad, all 6 foot 5 inches of him, towering over Don and Phil - the "Everly Brothers" - one huddled under each of Dad's long arms.

When Expo '86 was on in Vancouver the brothers were playing at the event and I was in attendance at a meet and greet when I showed them the picture.

I don't know if they were being polite or not but they stated "we remember this picture" - and I got them to autograph it.


I got to meet many great stars over the years myself and some were tremendously gracious and open while others were real jerks.

Among the greats were people like Lionel Richie.


Lionel was very sincere when chatting with him...he'd look you right in the eyes...give you a firm hand shake and 'thank you' for coming.

My personal best highlight ever was the amazing Sarah Brightman, whom I've seen in concert three times and I'd go again and again again if she was in the neighborhood.


One thing you have to remember is that these artists have 'just finished' performing in concert. Some have been in high power performances (like Sarah hanging from the roof of Rexall) and are extremely tired. It's an obligation most, I'm sure, would rather not do but it is truly appreciated when you get to see the 'real person' and especially when you get a chance to throw a little admiration their way.

There are 'opposites' to the nice guy/girl thing too.

Sting kind of 'grunted' when I tried to ask him about the making of the video in Tuscany that was shot the day the Twin Towers hit the ground in New York on 9/11. I mentioned Chris Botti and obviously Sting thought it was 'all about him' and offered no insight what so ever.


But I can safely say the artist that I will never ever forget meeting in my entire radio career was - WHITNEY HOUSTON.


In the mid 1980's I was the Program Director for KISS FM in Vancouver and RCA record rep Ray Ramsey knew that I adored Whitney. The station was playing a ton of her music, and at that time she had reached superstar status.

When her concert was announced for the west coast I asked Ray if it would 'be at all possible' for me to meet her?

Ray mentioned that there were 'no meet and greets' planned, so I let it drop...until he walked in about a week or two later and said "I've got a surprize for you. There's no meet and greet for anybody...but you!"

He had arranged for a PRIVATE face to face meeting for 'just me.'

I'm a bit of a groupie at heart and man was I thrilled at this great opportunity and as the event unfolded the meeting ended up being rather 'unique' in its presentation.

"Before" the concert my wife and I were ushered down to the dressing room area. Kim wasn't allowed in...as I said...it was just for me.

Ray knocked on the door and Cissy Houston, Whitney's mother, opened the door and welcomed me in. Cissy was very protective of her daughter, rightly so, and graciously ushered me in towards her in the corner of the room by a giant mirror as she got ready to perform.

As the door swung open we were also met by two "very large" personal security guards...think NFL offensive lineman size. I looked over at a very tall, very beautiful young Whitney - who had the most stunning eyes I had ever seen.

Just before I was allowed to step forward to shake Whitney's hand Security Giant #1 gives me the instructions.

"You will stand beside MISS Houston - and I will take your right hand and place it on her right hip. You are not to move that hand at all. The picture will be taken and "I" will remove your hand from MISS Houston's hip.'

And that's how it went.

Obviously the instructions freaked me a little and trying to garner a real and genuine smile while you fear for your life that your limb might be cut off if you accidently moved it an inch or two by this rather large person was forefront in my mind.

So the picture was snapped, and we had about two or three minutes to simply and briefly say hello and exchange a few thoughts. I do remember telling her that "I'm your biggest groupie..." and it made her smile.

My wife Kim is searching through our archives so that I can share that picture with you and I hope to have it soon.

After the picture I attended the concert and remember being able to sing along to each and every lyric to hit after hit that "MISS" Houston performed during the show.

And as I followed her trials and tribulations and problems in her life throughout the years after meeting her it often made me reflect on that great evening in her dressing room in Vancouver.

What a talent. What a pity. What a legacy.

Why? All the money in the world couldn't help her. Great mentors like Clive Davis her aunt Dionne Warwick and Oprah also tried to help. And that "money can't buy happiness" line that you see/read over and over again couldn't save this troubled woman.

She left us far too soon - and under terrible conditions....how very sad on the eve of the Grammy's, an event that she reportedly loved, that she passes away.

I was so damn happy to meet a young, talented, beautiful, warm woman enjoying the peak of her career and each and every time I hear or read her name in the future my mind will automatically kick in to my all time favorite "MISS Houston" song "I Will Always Love You!"


God bless you "WHITNEY" - and rest in beautiful peace. You were an amazing and wonderful talent and 'gone too soon.'

*Thanks to KJ for the assitance on the pictures!*
**Sting pic - with Bear PD Greg Diamond**
***Lionel pic - with the late David Grierson, Sharon Berry (Promo Mgr), and Larry Macrae BMG Music***

No comments:

Post a Comment